Specifications and Requirements
Where signs are required, the form of signs shall be as follows:
- Where required, raised tactile and or braille signage shall be provided as follows:
- Unisex accessible sanitary facilities shall be identified with the international symbol of access and male and female symbols.
- Signage for unisex accessible facilities shall be provided with the letters LH or RH to indicate a left-hand or right-hand side transfer onto the WC pan. The min font size shall be 20 mm san serif
Location of Braille and Tactile Signs
Signs including symbols, numbering and lettering must be designed and installed as follows:
- Signs must be located not less than 1200mm and not higher than 1600mm above the floor or ground surface.
- Signs with single lines of characters must have the line of tactile characters not less than 1250mm and not higher than 1350mm above the floor or ground surface.
- Signs identifying rooms containing features or facilities listed in D3.6 must be located:
- on the wall on the latch side of the door with the leading edge of the sign located between 50mm and 300mm from the architrave
- in the event of insufficient latch side dimension, a sign may be placed on the non-latch side of the door
- where (i) and (ii) is not possible, the sign may be placed on the door itself.
- Signs identifying paths of travel must be placed so they are located directly ahead in the direction of travel. Where one wall continues in the direction of travel and the other forms a corner, the sign must be place on the continuing wall.
Tim the Sign Man compliance specs for our signs
- All signs are manufactured from PVC to a depth of 3mm (Because of the thickness no backing panel is required)
- All signs are injection moulded so that all graphics are of a continuous nature for hygiene purposes as set out in Building Code of Australia BCA section D3.6
- Moulded signs mean that adhesive failure on symbol, letters and braille dots is impossible which in turn extends the life of each sign
- Sign sizes are 180mm x 180mm x 3mm or 180mm x 210mm x 3mm depending on content
- Silver signs are coated with a micro metallic silver acrylic lacquer to give the appearance of clear anodized aluminium
- Tactile character & symbols have a minimum 30% luminance–contrast with the background
- Complies with The Building Code of Australia (Section D3.6)
- Complies with Design for Access and Mobility (AS1428.1-2011)
- Complies with Public Information Symbol Signs (AS2899.1-1986)
Toilet LH/RH Handing
Toilet signs that include LH and RH are designed to show wheelchair users which way to transfer on to the toilet. Please refer to the image below: